Monday, April 25, 2011

YW Manual 3 Lessons 16 and 17

I am blessed to teach 14-15 year-old girls each Sunday at church.  We are combining lessons 16 and 17.  I will be sticking pretty close to the manual. I like the question section of lesson 17 and we will go through each question.

To begin the lesson, I am going to tell them about a group of girls that one night all divided up into cars and decided to go to the temple.  Instead of using maps or directions, they would simply flip a coin at each intersection.  (post here).  I will stress the importance of not leaving our temple preparation up to chance.  I'm also sure that many in the car knew the way, and knew that the coin was telling them to go the wrong way.  In the same manner, it is important for all of us to follow the teachings and commandments of the gospel.

 For my handout, I took a picture of the temple from LDS.org.  Using Picasa (it's free) I wrote "Wish you were here."  I am going to mount each picture on card stock to make postcards.  Then I will have each girl write a postcard to her future self.

Here's an example of the Salt Lake and San Antonio temples.



Click here to see other YW lesson ideas.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love that for a handout idea! I taught those two lessons combined last week, and I loved it. I ran out of time, as usual. My girls were really interested in seeing pictures of the inside. I had a couple brochures from an open house, but I told them to check lds.org for more. I wish I had had more with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to bring some inside pics-I didn't think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable is this idea! Thanks for inspiring me.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! My Mia Maid advisor and I are trying to figure out how to combine two of the next three lessons (16, 17 and 18). This helps! Thanks. Just found this site and I'm excited to go through it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT IDEA I LOVE IT thank you!!!! (I can tell a REAL story of that happening to me - 1/2 of my sisters go lost going to my temple sealing. You think I would have LEARNED my lesson but when my next sister got married, I GOT LOST this time! :) (We obviously didn't live in Utah :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your ideas!! I'm going to use this today!

    ReplyDelete